Bye handmade, hello coreblog
This was a hard decission to take, because I like to have my own code running somewhere, and I'm proud when my creations are useful, even if they are useful only for me.
Once i've decided to switch, the first thing was to learn a little bit more about coreblog itself, and how to change the ugly (at least for me) default skin.
Coreblog comes with 2 skins by default, default and plonified (this one didn't work for me anyway), but I want to give my new weblog some different look and feel.
Obviously, the base design is not mine, I just got it from OSWD, more precisely the Syndicate Me one. I just picked up the free design and I used it as the base for my own design. More changes will be applied soon.
Once I got the template, I could play a little bit with the coreblog integrated skin system. It couldn't be easier. I only had to copy the skins/default folder to another folder like, for example, skins/e-shell.
Then I got into the new skin directory, just to change the stylesheet file and replace the contents with the CSS code from the template. This was a little bit tricky, because I had to mix the template css naming convention with the coreblog names for css classes and ids. Anyway, it didn't took me more than one hour.
Well, after changing the css stylesheet file, I still had some work to do with some DTML files inside the skin directory. The most important one is index_html, where almost all the blog is mixed and prepared for publishing, with blog_banner, blog_header and blog_footer being important too (as those are imported within index_html to assemble the header and the footer of the weblog.
Depending on each setup, it is probably that more files should be changed, like entry_body for the layout of the inner part of each post.
So, finally, after some work (near 2 hours) I have my coreblog site as I would like it to be. Now I should read some more about the inner aspects of the software, how to customize it's functionalities and learn about all the options it offers.